Takko Town grows more garlic than any other area in Japan. They have sister-city bonds with garlic producing regions in America, Italy and Korea.
Entrance to the festival site is free but you need an advance ticket to partake of the BBQ. Advanced tickets can be purchased at Misawa ITT or at the Shimoda Mall information booth for ¥2000. Again, you can not buy a ticket to the BBQ at the festival site.
This year, Misawa ITT will have a bus going to Takko Town. Call 226-3555 for info.
There will be plenty to do in the way of entertainment, games and "festival food" in addition to the below scheduled events.
Takko Town is located about an hour and a half drive from Misawa. Driving instructions are:
- Exit the base from the POL gate and proceed straight about 3 KM until you reach the Momoishi Toll road. It is the first overpass you will come to. (13 traffic lighes at last count).
- Turn left at the traffic light just prior to the overpass and you are on the entrance ramp to the toll road
- You will pass through the Shimoda Toll Gate (¥250) and continue on to the Hachinohe Kita exit. (Second exit past the toll booth)
- Exit at Hachinohe Kita (¥200) and follow the exit ramp to the traffic light. The cross street is Route 45.
- Turn right on Route 45 and follow it for about 2.8 km.
- Stay in the left-hand lane and leave Route 45 via the exit ramp (to the left).
- At the end of the ramp there is a traffic light. Turn right at this light.
- Continue past the Fish Market for about 4km. then turn right at the traffic light onto Route 104.
- Continue on 104 for about 14KM (thru Nambu Town) you will come to Rt 4. Routes 4 and 104 kind of merge.
- Turn left onto Rt 4 and travel about 13 KM and take the off-ramp to the left.
- Go to the stop sign and turn right. This will put you back onto Rt 104. This is Sannohe.
- Drive 9.3KM (pass 3 traffic lights) and turn right onto Rt21. This is Takko Town.
- Follow this small road 6.7KM and bear left at the fork (just past the English sign for Soyu mura).
- After 1.5KM you will turn right into the festival area.
- Driving instructions courtest of www.HakkodaPowder.com.